Pray like this: Our Father in heaven, may your name be honored. May your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done here on earth, just as it is in heaven. Give us our food for today, and forgive us our sins, just as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us. And don’t let us yield to temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. (Matthew 6:9-13 NLT)
Kenneth Bailey on the six requests of the Lord’s Prayer:
Each of these six petitions involves an active God, and each specifies or implies participation on the part of the believer. That is, each involves the sovereignty of God and the freedom and responsibility of the human person. This is as follows:
1. God makes his own name holy, and I am expected to live a holy life.
2. God brings in the kingdom, and I am to work toward the goal of its coming.
3. God fulfills his will, and I am to discover that will and obey it in daily life.
4. He gives the gift of daily bread, and I must work to earn it.
5. He forgives, and I must forgive.
6. He guides me away from evil, and I must live a life of righteousness.
(Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes, p.105)